Saturday, September 29, 2012

sea turtles

Just got back from Mexico (Cancun... don't be jealous) and I couldn't wait to share with you all the amazing experience I had.  I was lucky enough to be able to release a baby white sea turtle into the ocean!!!




These precious animals are on the verge of extinction. These animals do not develop their hard shells until the age of 15 when they become adults.  This makes them extremely venerable to birds, sharks and other animals.  The worst killer is humans by far.  If netting them by accident isn't bad enough... people also eat these turtles regardless of their fragile status on the engendered list.

I cannot tell you how this once in a lifetime experience has bettered my life. The turtles happened to hatch the morning of our last day in Cancun. The community waited to release these turtles into the ocean at night. Without doing this most of the 86 baby turtles would have been picked up by the crabs, seagulls, pelicans and racoons all waiting for them. Releasing them at night gave them a higher chance of survival from the get go.

My husband and I got to name our turtles... Hector was my husbands and Mantequilla (yes that's butter in Spanish. Its the prettiest Spanish name I know :)  was my little turtle. Watching her flap in my hands, ready to take on the world, made my heart flutter. Letting her go... was so hard knowing her chances. watching her run to the ocean and take on her life... AMAZING!!!

Mantequilla.... I wish you the best of luck in this crazy world and I hope that in 15 years you'll get the chance to continue the chain of life.


1 comment: